Established in 1928.
The small Village of Hazlet is located in Southwest Saskatchewan, approximately 65 kilometers northwest of Swift Current. We have a population of 126 in our vigorous village and a total of 291 in and around our surrounding area. We are a thriving farming community, full of activity and friendly community support, offering a safe and comfortable lifestyle.
Hazlet’s Economy is driven mostly by agriculture, raising cattle/bison, and energy including oil and natural gas. Oil and gas exploration certainly provides a substantial economic contribution to our village and surrounding area. We are also very proud to have our school be involved in and International school program, where we host students from other countries, who desire education with English instruction, this also contributes to our economy.
We are a very active community and have many community groups such as Hazlet Economic Development, Ladies UCAL, Hazlet Lions, two book clubs, Hazlet Legion. We curl most of the winter away, which give us a wonderful opportunity to visit with our neighbours and friends. We have ladies and men’s golfing starting in the spring, and the kids play ball all summer long.
Hazlet is proudly the home of the famous Sandhills Players, and usually entertains semi-annually. We offer two dinner theatres, an evening performance and a Sunday Matinee. Local actors will surely provide you with an experience you are sure to remember.
Hazlet has a school that is not only kindergarten to grade twelve, but is an international school! In 2006, our school was struggling for numbers, so we implemented the international program, and it has been a huge success ever since! To date, we have hosted over 100 students from 27 different countries. The small town vibe that the school offers is great for a learning environment for all ages. The school offers many different sports and activities that keeps both the kids and community involved all year round.
A Co-op service station and locally run garage are also available in Hazlet, as well as a Canada post office, a fitness gym, a library, a local cafe and a United Church!
The hall in Hazlet is a great size, and is used for all kinds of events. It is home to the Sandhills Players, where they use it for both their plays and their dinner theatres. The hall is also used all year round for any event that could be thought of such dances, concerts, suppers, and fundraisers.
The ball diamonds are home to the Hazlet Elks, which are located straight north of town. With three diamonds and no more senior ball, the diamonds are used more for events such as our annual sports day weekend, which includes a just for fun slow pitch tournament, and the odd concert!
Our community rink complex is one of our most used facilities in town. Home of our curling rink, skating rink, and lounge, the building is used not only in the winter, but all year round. During the winter, there is always a different curling tournament, from ladies, to mixed, to even high school tournaments and regional curling. The skating part is used everyday in the winter, as there is power skating, skating lessons, public skating, and hockey games for all ages! Last but not least, the lounge is the newest addition to our complex. We brought in a building and attached it to the rink, which gives us much more room for not only a lounge, but for many other events. During the winter, it is mostly used as a lounge for curling and hockey events, but during the summer months, we use it for events such as garage sales, big screen rider games, and bridal showers!
Hazlet is now happy to offer the service of a guest house! The "big blue" house is home to Hazlet's first guest house, which has three bedrooms with five beds, a big living room, kitchen, and four piece washroom. It is perfect for individual visitors, groups and families to town who are staying for a couple of days and enjoying this beautiful and peaceful town!
Standing Rock is one of our most well known attractions. Our community has several annual events that we can also consider attractions. Every Father’s Day weekend, we have our ‘sports day weekend’, which includes our ever-popular Sand Hills Relay, slow pitch tournament, a parade and a Sunday evening pit beef B-B-Q in the park. Our beautiful regional park, three miles from the village, is a wonderful location for bird watchers, family picnics and short hikes. Across from the park, you can admire our 9-hole golf course that is quite a challenge.
RM of Pitville # 169- Compiled By: Dan West (Taken from Hazlet & its Heritage Book)
In 1898 the Territorial Government passed the Local Improvement Ordinance by which one-township units were established. Five years later this was increased to four-township units.
All Municipal affairs were administered by the Territorial Department of Public Works under the authority of the Local Improvement District which was formed in 1899.
All the local improvement districts were numbered, commencing at the south-eastern corner of the province, proceeding to the Alta. Border and repeating east to west.
When the province of Saskatchewan was formed in 1905, one of the first matters to be considered was that of local government. A commission was appointed to enquire into and to recommend a suitable system of municipal insitutions for the province. Their recommendations were promptly adopted and the first Municipality Act was passed in 1908.
As more settlers began to arrive in L.I.D.#169 the need was felt for more say in their local affairs. Therefore, in 1912 a meeting was held and application was made to the Department to form a rural municipality.
On January 1, 1913, The Rural Municipality of Pitville No. 169 was created. It seems the name “Pittville” was chosen by Richard Pearce who came from Pittville, Cheltenham, England.
A meeting to elect the Council was held on Jan. 6, 1913. The Returning Officer was R.R. Pearce. Elected as councillors were: John Forrester, John Colter, Ed Williamson, R.R. Pearce, P.C. Smith, and J. McBratney. P.C. Smith was nominated as the chair of the meeting.
On Jan, 20, 1913, they had a nomination meeting for Reeve. David Magee was elected as the first Reeve. He held his first meeting on Jan. 28 at the Sandord Dene hall. Thomas Derman was appointed sec.-treasurer at a salary of $360 a year.
They had a busy year. Happy Valley, Jamesville, Roia Dene, Sandford Dene, Three Buttes and Westmount School Districts were formed. They passed a motion to enforce a closed herd law; in ward 5 all year round, but closed in the other wards from April to October 31.
On Dec. 13 the new Council for 1914 was elected: Reeve – John Colter, Councillors – J. Forrester, Clem Kimber, Ed Williamson, Percy Smith, R.W. McAdam, C.J. Herriot and T.J. Derman as sec.-treasurer.
The meetings were held at the Sandford Dene hall until 1919. The office was at the Orange Hall in Cabri. At the Oct. 6, 1919 meeting Williamson moved that “in the future the secretary will leave his office at the Orange Hall, Cabri; that we will hold our meetings the first Saturday of each month at the Westmount School and that the Sec. Treasurer be in attendance, the second Sat. Each month at Jackson’s store, Bestville, for the purpose of collecting taxes and transacting other business.”
The meetings were held at the Westmount School from 1919-1928. The yearly rent was $50 a year. Meetings began in the morning. They went to J.E. West’s for the noon meal and resumed the meeting in the afternoon. It was during this time that the table and the eight wodden chairs, which we still use today, were purchased.